Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Board Meeting Minutes

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Headlines

Home > breadcrumbs: Board Meeting Minutes >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

July 14, 2014 BOE Meeting

The Nemaha Central Board of Education met for the first meeting of fiscal year 2015 on Monday, July 14, 2014. The first order of business was to elect the President and Vice-President. Remaining as President will be Gary Niehues and Jason Hammes will fill the Vice-President position.

This being the “organizational” meeting, several routine items were approved on the Consent Agenda.  These items included: (1) establish the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. as the regular board meeting date and time; (2) appointments of the Clerk, Treasurer, Federal program Director, KPERS Agent, Food Service Officers, Compulsory Attendance Officers, Section 504 Compliance Coordinator, and school attorney; (3) resolutions authorizing principals to oversee building activity funds; (4) resolutions authorizing building petty cash funds; (5) designation of school newspaper; (6) designation of all local banks as official depositories for district funds; (7) authorization for the Superintendent and Clerk to credit investment interest to special funds as needed; (8) resolution to rescind all board actions during 2013-14 which did not become written board policy and approve all current written policies for 2014-15; (9) established the mileage reimbursement rate at $0.56/mile; and, (10) resolution to waive General Accepted Accounting Principles as recommended by the Kansas State Department of Education.

A contract was approved for Maggie Hasenkamp as half-time teacher and half-time at-risk coordinator at Nemaha Central High School. A resignation from Shirley Hammes, elementary classroom aide, was accepted.

Board members were appointed to serve on named committees. Jean Placke – Special Education Cooperative Advisory Board. Dave Clements – Governmental Relations Representative. Owen Zinke and Jason Hammes – Education Foundation Board. Ilene Enneking – District Health Committee.

The board gave Supt. Kohlman permission to contact a local auctioneer to plan an auction for surplus items after the start of school.  Kohlman was also authorized to list for sale on an online auction site a John Deere 2150 industrial model tractor. Surplus technology equipment will be advertised and sold in lots to groups through a list serve by the IT Director.

Four minor roof repair projects were awarded to the low bidder for each project. Diamond Everly Roofing was the low bidder for two separate areas on the high school at $16,000 and $7,400. JT Turner and Sons submitted the low bid of $16,411 to repair a section on the elementary school building. Premier Contracting received the bid to make some minor repairs on non-warranted areas at $5,000.

Major discussion at the meeting evolved around the 2014-15 budget. This year is the fourth and final year of the frozen general fund budget due to consolidation. The administration and board have addressed the shortfall during the past three years with staff and building changes. What has expired is the guaranteed percentage that the State will contribute toward the Supplemental General Fund, also known as the Local Option Budget. The past three years, the State has funded over 20% of the revenue for the LOB. Last year, 2013-14, the district received $264,869 from the State. The total LOB budget was $1,112,250. This fourth year, and here forward, the State contribution is based on the district “wealth per student” and where that wealth per student ranks among other school districts. The wealth per student is calculated by taking the total assessed valuation of the district divided by the number of students attending the public school. All districts are placed on a rubric and the top ten percent receive zero. USD 115 will receive 2.15% which tells one that the district is in the upper tier. Local taxes are assessed to make up the difference. Supt. Kohlman proposed to drop the LOB from $1,112,250 to $1,000,000. Based on this recommendation, the district will receive $21,500 in State aid, a drop of over $200,000. To make up for the loss in State aid, an additional 2.23 mills will be needed to fund the LOB. The General Fund and Bond & Interest mill levies will remain the same. Supt. Kohlman said the loss of $112,250 will most probably be made up in transfers to other funds.

The board approved the publication of the budget Code 99 with the budget hearing date set for August 11 at 7:00 p.m.

No action was taken following two executive sessions; one to discuss property acquisition and the second to discuss non-elected personnel.

Back To Top